Wednesday 9 June 2010

Driving abroad this summer? Read the Good Garage Scheme’s essential information first

Holidaying in India, Brazil, Egypt or the United Arab Emirates? If you’re planning on driving abroad this summer you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries. The permit costs around £5 and lasts for up to a year.

If you’re holidaying within Europe, there are also some compulsory driving requirements different to those in the UK. First of all, you’ll need a GB Sticker on your vehicle when leaving the country. Make sure you have a warning triangle and reflective jacket in your boot, as in countries such as France, Austria, Spain and Belgium this is a legal requirement. Check the AA compulsory equipment document at the bottom of the page for a comprehensive list of requirements so your holiday goes off without a hitch.

Remember, if you do not adhere to a country’s laws you may find yourself with an on the spot fine of between €90 and €135.

Before your holiday:
  • Plan your route thoroughly and make sure your Sat Nav and maps are up to date.
  • Make sure you know the driving laws and speed limits before entering the country; they may be different to the UK.
  • Check any vehicle or license requirements at least two months in advance of your holiday.
  • Pack an emergency kit. This is only a requirement in Austria, but it’s good to have just in case.
  • Get your vehicle checked over by your local Good Garage Scheme garage to ensure it is ready and safe for a long distance journey.
  • Pack your vehicle registration document, your motor insurance certificate and your passport somewhere safe.

Full list of countries that require an IDP

IDP Application form from the RAC (PDF)

AA Compulsory Equipment (PDF)

No comments: