The chart compiled by SMMT (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders) lists the top ten selling cars for 2009 out of the 1,994,99 new cars registered.
The Good Garage Scheme found that the car scrappage scheme influenced sales, as one in every five new cars sold can be attributed to it.
Registrations for new cars however fell below 2m, the lowest since 1995. But if it hadn't of been for the car scrappage scheme the impact on car sales would have been significantly worse.
The 2009 best sellers...
1. Ford Fiesta (117,296 sales)
2. Ford Focus (93,517 sales)
3. Vauxhall Corsa (84,478 sales)
4. Vauxhall Astra (67,729 sales)
5. VW Golf (57,187 sales)
6. Peugeot 207 (48,037 sales)
7. Mini (39,866 sales)
8. BMW 3-series (39,029 sales)
9. Vauxhall Insignia (36,040 sales)
10. Ford Mondeo (34,418 sales)